Monday 7 October 2013

Simple lesson a soap taught me

A simply product can teach us many things. This is one of them.

Me at a shop.
Me: "I want a Fiama Di Wills bathing bar".

Shopkeeper: "Out of stock. Try another brand".

Me: "Which one? Is it good?"

Shopkeeper: "Yes, it is. Denver for men. Take it."

Hesitatingly I took  it as he wanted me to try out something different. The shopkeeper even refused to take money as the product I wanted was out of stock and he did not want to disappoint his customers. So I came back and tested it for a week. The product was good. The smell was fine, shape and size were fine. But there was something that didn't click with me. I didn't feel like I was bathing. You know the feeling, right? It was like not having the feel of mint after brushing the teeth for about 3 to 4 minutes.

After a week, I went back to him and asked for Fiama Di Wills again. Fortunately this time it was available.

Me at the shop again:
Me: "The Denver soap you gave me was fine but didn't click like Fiama Di Wills used to do. It must be something with me but now I would like to have only my choice of soap."

I continued.....
Me: "The thing is....I like only the brands I have been using and no matter what happens to other brands....whether it's given for free or cost a premium I don't want to use it."

That moment he interrupted and worriedly said....
Shopkeeper: "Please don't misunderstand us like that. I did not charge money and gave to you....not because it was a bad product but I because I wanted you to try a good brand so that you might like it in the future. This is embarrassing. I guess I will have to stop giving free stuffs to my customers."

I pleaded with no no no.... I didn't mean like that.......but then the damages had already been done.

Lesson Takeaway:



  1. In anything you build or produce, build brands. It matters. It's always going to be Fiama Di Wills for me. I don't really care whether Dettol, Lux, Dove or Denver exists or not. For you, it might be different.

  2. Think and Say. Very important lesson.  I thought I was saying some cool things by blurting out "whether it's given for free or cost a million..."  but no....that silly dialogue made my shopkeeper look bad in front of his customers.


That's it folks. I learned the hard way. Don't forget to grab the last two takeaways. It will surely come in handy one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment